Guideline on Protecting and Utilizing Old Factory Buildings to Expand Cultural Spaces
Old factory buildings and related industrial facilities carry with them historical memories of the industrial development in Beijing. They are valuable resources for preserving history and culture and promoting the organic renewal of the city. Protecting and making use of old factory buildings, exposing their historical significance, developing public facilities and cultural creative industries (CCI) and establishing new urban public spaces would add vibrancy to the cultural impact of the city and vitalize the creative industries.
1. Three principles
(1) Prioritize historical protection of the buildings while allowing them to be put to productive uses.
(2) Invite industries that produce something in-demand by society to use the buildings
(3) Establish cooperation between regulatory government departments and the market on operating the buildings
2. Four steps
(1) Inspect and document the conditions in the old factory buildings, conduct necessary registration
(2) Scientifically assess conditions of the old factory buildings.
(3) Formulate planning guidelines and management procedures for protecting and utilizing the old factory buildings.
(4) Promote and scale-up utilization of the old factory buildings.
3. Six suggestions for making the transition smoother
(1) Set up grading criteria and models of preservation and utilization for each category of buildings.
(2) The reconstruction and building of non-profit public cultural facilities could complete related land procedures by assigned method.
(3) Eligible buildings can enjoy a five-year grace period before reconstruction depending on their original uses and types of land rights.
(4) In order to carry out the renovation and utilization of old factory buildings in accordance with laws and regulations, the zoning functions of the buildings could be temporarily changed after proper inspections and applications for permits are filed to the relevant government departments.
(5) Eligible old factory buildings can renovate and decorate their interior spaces in response to their use requirements.
(6) Assist with industrial and commercial registration.
4. Improvements that need to be made
(1) The procedures for implementation can be improved.
(2) More financial support is needed to make this is reality.
(3) Service management needs to be improved.
(This English version is only for reference. To learn more, please refer to the authoritative Chinese version)